Saturday, February 9, 2008

SKINS: Bow Down to its Greatness (videos)

Skins is one of the best shows on TV these days. And... it doesn't even air in America. Nope- it comes from those cooler people over in the UK. The second season starts on Monday but the Skins Myspace has been posting the whole first episode in parts during the last couple days and left them up until they reached 10,000 viewers (which they have quite quickly). But don't you despair, because of course the videos have been uploaded promptly all over the internets. Here are the clips (although I really, truly suggest that if you have not watched the show yet, you should watch it from the beginning. Otherwise you will have absolutely no idea what's going on. It's worth it, trust. Try searching "skins" on Youtube or Daily Motion):

[Warning- basically all of the Skins episodes as far as I can remember are somewhat NSFW- some more than others]

Oh, and the first part starts off with an annoyingly long dance sequence, just so you know...

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



Part 4, the final one, will be up on Myspace tomorrow!

Now the real question is: why is this show not airing in America? A show this good? Is America too prude? Well I suppose it is, and I am to some extent as well, because I was pretty shocked that the very first episode started right off the bat with a naked woman walking around and a teenager watching her from his room. But that's the charm of the show! And I'm sure cable networks can get away with it, blurring to their hearts' desires and all of that. So what's the deal?

My theory: America is not too prude, but too proud. Think about it: when was the last time a foreign show made it onto any US cable channels, not to mention the major networks? And I'm not talking about BBC America. It's pretty sad, really. I know for a fact that basically ALL other countries have US shows bombarded at them. And I also know for a fact that this show would be fawned upon in America. Gossip Girl is half the quality and was widely praised/watched/buzzed about. So what gives? If there's a TV show that is this good, it should be brought here, whether it's American or not. At least I have the internet because otherwise I would have never heard of this show. So, TV execs- pick up this damn show! It's a shame to watch it in crappy quality all the time.

No comments: