Friday, April 4, 2008

No Handlebars

My friend told me about this song a couple days ago at school- supposedly it has been highly requested on KROQ and other radio stations this past week. It's not what I expected at all, I actually like it... Which is surprising because it's done in a rap style that's a teensy bit reminiscent of Linkin Park. But I don't like Linkin Park so not exactly... maybe more like Eminem. Anyway the real compelling thing about this song is the lyrics. It starts with "I can ride my bike with no handlebars" and then escalates to way darker subjects. Pretty powerful stuff. My friend said the radio DJ hates it because it's too "obvious" and shoves the message down your throat, but I don't think so, I think it's just the way it should be.

So here's the music video for "Handlebars" by Flobots:



I'm not sure what exactly the message is. I thought it was about how the US is show-offy and thinks it's the center of everything. My friend says it's about how we started out so simple and things have become overly complicated, and that it's also a big negative statement on the Iraq war. Who knows, probably a lot can be made out of it.

Is this the next "Hey There Delilah" phenomenon? I think so... I give it about two months until it gets so overplayed that I want to murder it, ha ha.

No comments: